Quicksilver is a Competitive Girls Fastpitch Softball Summer and Fall Travel Organization under South San Jose Softball League. Quicksilver teams consists of the very best players from SSJSB with a mission to further advance the skills of those players in a more competitive environment. All participants of SSJSB Spring Recreational season are eligible and encouraged to tryout for Quicksilver.
QUICKSILVER PLAYER FAQ's
Q. When are tryouts?
- An informational meeting is usually held at the end of April and tryouts are usually the first weekend of May.
Q. What do I need to know about tryouts?
- Please pre-register your daughter online (found under the registration tab) before showing up to tryouts.
- Please arrive 30 minutes early to complete registration and warm up.
- When you arrive at the field, report to the registration booth to be assigned your tryout number.
- Wear your spring team jersey and bring your own glove, bat, helmet and cleats.
Q. Do I have to go to tryouts?
- YES! Tryouts are mandatory and missing tryouts without making prior arrangements with the Player Agent will result in not being placed on a team. If you are unable to make it please contact the Player Agent.
Q. Who can tryout?
- All girls 16 year and under who played in the Spring 16u, 12u, 10u or 8u divisions are strongly encouraged to tryout.
- Former SSJSB players who currently play on their High School, Junior Varsity team and fall under the above age category may also qualify for placement.
Q. Does the league allow players to play up?
- No. We feel we will have more competitive teams if the girls play within their own age division.
Q. Does the league allow players to play down?
- No. USA Softball rules do not allow players to play in an age division younger than the one they qualify for.
Q. How long is the Summer Season?
- The Summer Season generally runs from Memorial Day weekend through July. Practices may start sooner but will not conflict with player commitments to their current Spring teams.
Q. What is the practice/game schedule?
- Practice and game schedules will vary be coach. Teams typically practice three days per week and play tournaments on the weekends. Most teams will play between 5-7 tournaments. The 8u teams will likely play 4-5.
QUICKSILVER COACHES FAQ's
Q. How do I apply to manage or coach a QS team?
- Individuals interested in coaching or managing a Quicksilver team must submit an application online found on the registration tab.
- Managers and coaches are selected by the Board of Directors based on a single-minded purpose: ensuring the strength of SSJSB by creating a healthy, competitive playing atmosphere for all participants. The Board reserves the right to intervene at any time if it feels the best interests of the league and all participants are not being served.
- All interested in managing or coaching a Quicksilver team must be an active Coach or Manager in the Spring season.
Q. When are QS applications due?
- Applications are due mid-April. Please refer the our website for actual dates.
Q. Are there any special requirements needed to be a QS manager or coach?
- Individuals should be able to provide well-rounded and balanced managing/coaching staff, and it is critical that these individuals work well with each other to further increase the chance of a successful season. All staff members must to background checked for the current year, as well as ACE certified.
Q. What is the role of Manager/Head Coach?
- This person will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the team's functions. These responsibilities include choosing an experienced coaching staff, selecting tournaments for play, registering/insuring all team players/staff, defining fundraising goals and creating a team budget, ordering uniforms and merchandise purchased through the Quicksilver program, and most importantly - insuring that the team's financial funds are balanced. The daughter of this individual will automatically be placed on this team, despite her skill level, unless she does not age qualify.
Q. What is the role of a Coach?
- It is recommended that the manager select coaches who have demonstrated aptitude in the following skill areas: pitching, offense and defense. Be aware that the skill level and ability of these individuals will be taken into consideration when selecting coaching staff.